Monday, August 16, 2010

Sam's Movie Debut



Well, I just took a huge step toward my dream of acting. I had my first speaking role in a feature film, and I had a blast. You won't be seeing it in theatres, but I don't even care; it was a great learning experience and I met some of the most amazing people.


I saw the audition notice on craigslist and went to the Salt Lake Library after work one evening to perform a monologue and chat with the directors. I met Gabi first as she helped me sign in, and then my beautiful, supportive girlfriend came to help calm my nerves. I walked into the ceiling-less room and sat down in front of three swell gentlemen, Mike, Keith, and Derek. They made me feel immediately comfortable and at ease with some get-to-know-you questions and a few short stories. I performed my oh-so-dramatic monologue and then Derek filmed me telling my life story in a nutshell. We all got along well, and not long after, they e-mailed me inviting me to play a part in their film.


They had/have 4 short weeks to cast, write, film, and edit this feature, and they're well on their way. My character is named Junie, which is fitting, considering my middle name is June and Junie is a beloved nickname from my oldest sister. I pick up the lead man on the side of the road and give him a ride to his destination. Through conversation we find that I know his sister, and the movie continues with him and his 3 siblings going on a journey to find their missing father. I am in the last scene as well, giving him a ride back home, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Film is definitely different than theatre, and although both have their pros and cons, the stage will always be my first love. I have a new outlook on movies, and don't think I'll ever be able to watch them the same way again, considering I've seen more of how they're done. Intimate moments of just two people on the screen will now appear to me as: the camera man behind them, the sound guy behind him, and the director next to him. All cozy as can be.


I had a blast being a part of this movie, filming near the salt flats, and in Evanston, Wyoming. The people involved couldn't have made me feel more welcome, and thank you also to my girl for coming with me to Wyoming! Hopefully I'll have many more movies to report on in the future.
-Sam

2 comments:

  1. I for sure want to see your debut break out role Sammy June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I just wish I could go to the premiere. Please bring the DVD here when you get it. We will pop popcorn, I will lay out a red carpet from the bottom of the stairs to the TV, and make you wear a fancy dress. I will wear one too and we will have a blast. Love you and I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete