Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Utah, people working together!"

I'm having a bit of a rough morning. As anyone who knows me, I have been baby hungry for as long as I can remember. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've posted on babies previously. Sam is always back and forth on the baby topic but currently is on board. She killed me yesterday forcing me to play the "Yes or No" game with all the baby clothes at the store. She keeps saying we should look into adoption, so this morning I did.
Basically, unless we lie we cannot adopt. If we were to "break-up" and live apart for a while we could get around it. It blows my mind that I can adopt as a single woman but the two of us couldn't do it together. We happen to live in 1 of the 3 states that makes it impossible for a gay couple to adopt. (The other two are Arkansas and Florida for those who are curious.) So sad. Thank you Utah.
Sam and I were finally ready to make a life here in Salt Lake, and then found out we cannot create a family through adoption. You're probably thinking we shouldn't be surprised, after all it is the Mormon state. I don't want to just move and leave Utah to keep it doing this to every gay couple. It will never progress if we do that. We have to be the change we want to see. So the next thing we look at is trying to get one of us pregnant. Sam doesn't have that desire to carry a baby which is fine, so we look to me. First things first, getting me pregnant isn't going to be easy. Other than my families' history of the trickiness of being able to get prego, I have endometriosis. So a lot of money later there's a good chance we still don't have a baby.
I guess at this point I'm not completely discouraged because I don't know enough. I've been doing some online research and reading a lot but I know there is still more to learn. If anyone is knowledgeable on this topic or knows a gay couple in Utah who was able to adopt I would love some info. I know Sam and I could make some amazing parents. If you have some extra sperm laying around we'll take that too!

4 comments:

  1. Have you guys thought about a surrogate if you aren't able to get pregnant? I have a close friend who has always said she'd be willing to do it for her best friend (who is gay) and possibly others, so you never know :) and I have always always always thought you and Sam would be incredible parents and secretly hoped that you would have a baby :) I love you both! Keep me posted lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't know if this helps http://www.hrc.org/issues/parenting/custody/2386.htm. Hope you both can find a way to make it work being a mom is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about your roommate?! haha jk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Like." Good for you for looking into this and starting to "be the change."

    ReplyDelete