Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Story...

I've had many requests on Facebook to hear how Sam proposed. We've been engaged for 8 days now so I suppose it's time to share. First, let me start by saying my fiancee (hee hee) is one of the most sentimental and thoughtful people I know. She had been working on this proposal for over 3 months. And of course she went Sam style with an amazing video that took more work than I could ever imagine.

We started Christmas Eve Day volunteering at West High. (Note to anyone wanting to volunteer on that day, the only place Sam could find was run by an awesome Jewish organization called National Council of Jewish Women. Everyone else has already started celebrating.) After a few hours of volunteering, she took me to one of my very favorite restaurants, which happens to be one she doesn't like. Red Iguana. If you haven't been there take my word for it and not Sam's. It's mind blowing. After enjoying my spicy Mexican food, we headed home. Apparently Taylor and Kenna hadn't finished setting up, so we had to busy ourselves for an hour. We headed out to Layton to exchange Christmas gifts with my parents.



When we finally arrived back home, it took Sam at least 15 minutes to do whatever she was doing. This is probably the most difficult part of our relationship. I am incredibly impatient and she is ridiculously slow. Once she was ready and we had dished up our ice cream she took me into the living room. Taylor and Kenna had set up pillows, blankets and white Christmas lights in our living room. We made ourselves comfortable and she pressed play. It was a DVD full of couples' advice from a few of our friends. There were a few I hadn't seen in quite some time. In-between couples talking, she put little clips of herself telling me things she loved about me. At the end she posted some videos of us - ranging from 6 years ago to present. That was my favorite part. I loved watching the videos with music playing over it. Like my roomies said, it was like a chick flick.

When the movie ended, she pulled out the ring and said some words that are now jumbled in my memory, but something about being her wife. Of course I said yes, but it was more like an excited, "Yes, yes, yes!"



I am so lucky. Sam is my favorite person. She is the love of my life. When I was in the shower this morning she came into the bathroom and said the cutest thing. She said a lifetime isn't long enough for us. It feels so true. Hopefully we'll be reincarnated and find each other again. I'm hoping to be a fish or something in the ocean so she'll have to look for me there.

Now if I can only keep my head on straight to go to work full time, go to school full time and plan a wedding all at the same time, we'll be good. We have already had such an outpouring of love and support from so many friends. Thanks for your help in this wedding planning process. We love you all! Mark your calendars for August 4th, 2012!

4 comments:

  1. i love that video idea, so cute!! glad you posted this story and link on fb, now i can keep up with you! :) so glad you are happy! miss your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAaaaah!!! So sweet!!! Way to go Sam!!! Way to go Elise! Please be good to each other ALWAYS!!
    I'll give you all my great relationship advice later! Love & Hugs & Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete